There are many great construction management books out there today that have exceptional insight into what it takes to keep your business running smoothly.
If you’re looking to improve your construction management, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve taken the hard work out of searching for the perfect book with this list of our five favorite construction management books available today!
Managing the Profitable Construction Business: The Contractor’s Guide to Success and Survival Strategies
This highly-rated book is one of the top construction management books you can find on the market today. Written by some construction business veterans, this book will be extremely useful for any construction business owners who are struggling with the financial portion of their company.
One of the authors, Thomas Schleifer, is known for being a turnaround expert and helping construction companies find a way to get through financial trouble and succeed. Topics that Schleifer and Co. discuss include:
- Understanding the primary areas of construction business failure in the next decade
- Minimizing business risk with real-world examples
- Developing a positive and competent management attitude and strategy
Your financials are arguably the most important aspect of your business. If you don’t have the funds to carry out your job or don’t have the profits to grow, your business may be in trouble. We recommend this book for any construction business owner who wants to ensure that their finances will be solid for years to come.
Just like the previous book in this list, “Running a Successful Construction Company” is written by an experienced construction expert. In fact, David Gerstel, the author, worked his way up through the trades and now runs a highly respected and successful construction operation that does both remodeling and new builds.
While there are plenty of books out there written by business management consultants, reading a book that was actually written by someone who has been there and done that is what we definitely recommend here at 24hr Bookkeeper. There are subtle nuances and details of running a construction business that someone who hasn’t been there may not know about. And Gerstel has definitely been there.
In this book, you’ll find helpful tips for improving your operations, as well as ways to handle the day-to-day challenges that construction owners face. The book also features helpful illustrations and photos for added clarity. As one reviewer puts it, “Gerstel’s book is insightful, exceptionally readable and compelling. (It) inspires readers to plan and organize. Even the most successful and seasoned builders have expressed their appreciation.”
With an in-depth breakdown of each stage of the construction management process, “Construction Management Jumpstart” is a great way to familiarize yourself with management fundamentals, as well as Building Information Modeling and how it is impacting the construction industry overall.
Within this book, you’ll receive a thorough explanation of BIM and how it is challenging the traditional approach to project delivery, as well as how it affects a construction business owner’s role.
You’ll also find the following information:
- Interoperability of technology advances in the construction industry
- Each stage of the design and construction process and the tasks associated with each of them
- Step-by-step guide on how to estimate project costs, administer contracts, manage job site and construction operations, plan and schedule a project, monitor project performance, manage project quality and safety, and assess project risks
- Provides review questions at the end of each chapter to help enforce understanding
What is nice about the “Successful Construction Project Management: The Practical Guide” is that the chapters are broken into multiple, easy to digest sections. These sections provide step-by-step guides into how to manage your construction business successfully.
But, what this book does exceptionally well is make it easy for the reader to understand what NOT to do when it comes to managing your construction business. Overall, this book was written by construction veterans for construction business managers.
Some of the key features of the book include:
- Easy to read, friendly style, and avoids being too ‘textbook’ in nature
- Numerous practical examples of situations the author has seen and experienced over twenty-eight years in construction
- Includes many topics essential to successfully managing projects which aren’t included in most other project management books (such as: teamwork, delegation, communication, time management and preparing for meetings)
- Has the information clearly set out and easily available so the book can be used as a continuing reference
Green construction is taking off, and while this book isn’t like the others in that it will tell you how to manage your business, it is still important to understand how sustainable construction is impacting the industry today. If you want your business to survive long term, you need to be implementing sustainability into your operations as well as your services in one way or another.
In this book, you’ll learn to change the construction industry and clarification of what green means and how it is impacting jobs, workers, and the built environment.
In-depth coverage of topics include:
- What is meant by terms like green, sustainable, and high performance?
- What makes constructing a green building different from constructing conventional buildings?
- How is green construction changing workers’ jobs?
- What are the benefits, to jobs and the economy, as well as to the environment, of green construction?
- And more
No matter which books you decide to read, taking the initiative to learn more about your industry and how to manage your business is more than what a lot of your competitors are doing, and for that, we salute you here at 24hr Bookkeeper!
And, if you’re interested in spending more time managing your business and less time dealing with your bookkeeping, give us a call today!